Saturday, October 23, 2010

got my kip down and its fit for me :)


I actually think its a blend of butterfly kipping and regular kipping. All my years of swimming has programmed my hip movement in a certain way. I'm so excited!

I would assume most folks know what a pull-up is, but let’s back up a little bit and give a definition of the pull-up using Webster’s definition of “chinning” - “to raise oneself while hanging by the hands until the chin is level with the support.” Very few have heard of a “kipping” pull-up and really don’t know the difference between the two.

At first glance, kipping pull-ups look like cheating – or maybe even a spastic type of pull-up – but they’re not. Kipping pull-ups allow more work to be done in less time, thus increasing power output. It’s also a full-body coordination movement that, when performed correctly, applies more functionally to real-life pulling skills, like pulling back your bow! Last but not least, the hip motion of an effective kip mirrors the motion of the Olympic lifts, adding to its function as a posterior-chain developer (back, glutes and hamstrings). The posterior chain is your main engine if you’re looking at tackling lots of high country! If you’re not convinced that kipping pull-ups hold reverence in the fitness realm, I challenge you to attempt running or jogging without the use of your arms. Running and kipping pull-ups are both movements in which the entire body should be used to perform work, and the results will speak for themselves.

via hoyt.com

No comments:

Post a Comment